As many of you already know alot has been going on with Micah for the past month and a half. For those of you who don't know the story I'll go ahead a post a short little tid bit of our journey up to today.
In February Micah got sick, we ended up taking him to the ER on February 20Th and he was diagnosed with RSV and bilateral pneumonia. Micah was admitted that same night. The dr. told us to not expect to go home until Monday (this was Friday night). While spending a few nights in the hospital is not really what we would consider "fun" we were okay with a few days. Well Monday came and went and Micah was still sick. Micah was getting over the RSV and pneumonia but was unable to keep his o2 stats up while sleeping. From what we were told a "healthy" person stays at 95% or higher someone who is sick can go into the low 90's but Micah continued to drop into the 60's, 70's, 80's and would jump into the 90's. We were told that in order to be discharged Micah had to be able to go all night without needing o2. This did not happen. We ended up being discharged 2 weeks from the day we were admitted. But along with going home we had to bring home o2 and a monitor for Micah to be on. The dr's were just hoping that it was the residual RSV that was causing him to drop his o2 while sleeping.
While at the hospital we also found out a few other things while they were trying to figure out why Micah was still dropping his o2 stats. He has silent reflux with aspirations, he also aspirates when he drinks his bottles. In order to fix these couple of things Micah is now on prevacid 2 times a day and sleeps at a 45 degree angle in his crib in a "tucker sling". We also thicken his formula with a product called "simply thick" to keep him from aspirating when swallowing.
After a few weeks the dr (who by the way is wonderful) decided it was time to move on to some other test. Micah was scheduled for a CT chest scan for this morning. These are pretty routine and we went into it thinking that they honestly wouldn't find anything and we'd still be clueless to why Micah continues to destat. Unfortunately this was not the case. The CT went great we were done and discharged by 9am and we came home. Around 1pm we received a phone call from Micah's pulmonologist. He told us that he had bad news. Micah has a mass in his chest and it looks like cancer. Yes the dreaded C word was dropped.
So we met with the oncologist today at 3pm. The oncologist is having another CT done on Monday (hopefully) they want to scan his brain and his kidneys to see if there are any other masses. He also wants to remove the mass in about two weeks.
Really this is all we know right now. I hope to find out more soon but am not sure when this is going to happen. I apologize for the quality of this post, I am exhausted and have had a long day. All we ask is for your prayers. We know that God is with us through this all. We have faith that the Lord is watching over Micah and that the dr's will "hopefully" figure out what is going on. I hope to continue to post when we get more news.
As for Seth and I. We are doing alright. Emotionally and physically exhausted but able to keep moving forward. We both are in crisis mode right now just trying to get things done and figure out what the next step is. Noah is doing wonderfully as well. Getting big and walking finally!!!!!
Melinda, Seth, Noah, and Micah!